Adoption Wait Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Neon Boneyard

























































































While I was researching child-friendly Las Vegas, I stumbled upon the Neon Boneyard. And for those of you who know us well, you know that this was right up our alley. Apparently an eccentric man purchased some land in the questionable part of town and started buying and storing old neon signage on his property. The average shelf-life of a neon sign is 30 years. And since Las Vegas likes to reinvent itself, there were lots of signs for him to buy. Eventually, the intent is to build a museum and refurbish these signs for the museum. The proceeds from the tour fee that his staff collected go towards the building of the museum. You can even write it off on your taxes!

Anyway, we reserved our spot for Friday since that day my Dad had to work. And boy was it worth it. Although we did get some strange looks as we roll up to the tour with Hannah in tow. Most of the group were artsy kids from UNLV. I kept thinking of that scene in "Sweet Home Alabama"... "You brought a baby... to a bar." Yes, yes I realize that this place is not exactly kid-friendly. But look at the pictures - it doesn't look soooo bad. And Hannah's feet hardly touched the ground. Actually I can't believe how good she was - I think she enjoyed the tour too. I took as many pictures as I could of the old, rusty signs and figures. We had perfect weather and our tour group wasn't too big. Although it did take some patience to wait for the group to get out of your shot. I started taking pictures of individual letters so I can spell out Hannah's name. I thought it turned out pretty cool... take that artsy kids.
:)

No comments: