Adoption Wait Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, December 13, 2010

New York, New York, its a wonderful town...


My apologies for the "On the Town" reference. What can I say, I was raised on show tunes.


The first day that we were up in NJ, we decided to head into NYC. Hannah wanted to see dinosaur bones and the best place we could think of was the American Museum of Natural History.


On our way to the museum, we walked through Central Park. The weather was absolutely perfect. It was a sunny not-too-cold but chilly enough for a heavy coat kind of day.


And I guess I was so fixated on our trip and getting to the museum, that it totally slipped my mind that the Thanksgiving Day parade was going to be taking place the next day. We had to walk around various bleachers and barricades to get where we needed to go.


I am a big fan of the Thanksgiving Day parade. I love the Broadway show bits, the celebrity lip-sync attempts and the marching bands and the balloons. I insist on stopping all Thanksgiving meal prep to watch the parade on TV every year. Once I see Santa, then I can get back to work. One thing that I did not know was that the Thanksgiving Day parade ORIGINATES at the American Museum of Natural History. Did you know that?


As luck would have it, we stumbled across the prep area for the giant balloons that would be part of the Thanksgiving Day parade. They shut down both streets that flanked the American Museum of Natural History for the balloon prep.


They had signs up in front of each balloon stating who the character was and how long it has been in the parade.



And now we pause for a moment of silence for Shrek. You see, this was Shrek's last year in the parade. Thank you Sir Shrek, you served us well.



It got crowded pretty quick, so we weren't able to get as close to the other street of balloons. Regardless the balloons were a wonderful unexpected treat!

Stay tuned dinosaurs are coming.
:-)

1 comment:

Maria said...

I love, love, love that picture of the 3 of you.